» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 44» Next»     » Slide Show

Life Story of Nathan Wyman (son of Seth Wyman)

I was born in Bloomfield, Maine, March 6, 1812, lived with my parents & worked on a farm & attended school until I was thirteen years old, when my father died. I lived with my mother that year. At the age of fourteen my mother hired me with Samuel Bicknell for six months at five dollars per month to work on a farm. I worked out my time & went home and attended school that winter. In the Spring, at the age of fifteen, I went to Saco, Maine, to learn the machinist trade, making looms for the Saco Factory, a business that I had not the slightest taste for & I ought not to have been put to the trade. It, half brother John G. Reed was my master mechanic & my mother thought because he liked the business & made money by it that I could. A most erroneous idea. God never intended me for a mechanic & it was in vain for man to try to make one of me. In March, 1830 the Factory burned down & my brother was thrown out of business & I went back to Bloomfield. My mother had in the mean time married Deacon. Solomon Bixby of Norridgewock, Maine. I was at that time eighteen years old. I hired out that spring with my half brother Seth of Bloomfield to work on his farm six months at eight dollars per month. I worked out my time & went to school that winter. In the spring my brother Levi Wyman saw me & asked me what I was going to do that summer. I told him I thought I should hire out to work on a farm. He said do not do it. You ought to go to school two years. Come & board with me at Skowhegan Village & go to the Academy & you shall be welcome to your board by doing the chores night & morning. I took a week to consider the matter & consulted my guardian in the meantime & he advised me by all means to accept the proposition. At the and of the week I went to board with my brother & commenced attending the Academy under the instruction of Rev. Weston B. Adams. I was then nineteen years old. In September following my brother & his wife and Brother Jewett & wife, started to visit Brother Abel Wyman, living in Walworth, Wayne Co., New York. Brother Levi was taken sick at Saratoga Springs on his return and died there Nov. 13, 1831. His wife returned soon after & I made it my home with her till I became of age. I was going to school that winter but a man came from Harmony after a Teacher & the Preceptor recommended me to him & I reluctantly hired with him to teach 3 months at thirteen dollars per month, about the highest wages paid at that day for experienced teachers. I had a very hard school over 80 scholars, some of them older than I was. I finished my school & received my $39 cash, the most money I had ever had. I felt rich as a nabob. previous services for farm labor was paid in farmers currency, neat stock, appraised off by neighbors. I went back & boarded with my sister-in-law & attended the Academy that summer & fall & taught two schools the following winter. One of 10 weeks in Bloomfield & one of 8 weeks at Norridgewock, both at $l5 per month.

I was then 21 years of age & I went to Old Town to seek my fortune. I first hired out to help build the road from Old Town to Upper Stillwater. It was a very wet muddy spring. The musketoes & black flies very thick & very voracious & the sun shone very hot when it did not rain & would warp the covering of our camp (hemlock bark) & I would get wet through when it remained in the night & I concluded after six weeks experience road building that I would try something else. I accordingly went to Old Town Village & hired out with John K. Gilman as Clerk and General overseer of his business, Lumbering, which included the whole operation, cutting, & hauling & driving for him to Bangor for a share of the profits. His son had previously bought several hundred & they were turned into the common stock and were charged to me at his count but I found that they did not hold out by some 30 or 40 & I refused to settle at his count & we referred the case to Jethro Goodwin, Agustus S. French and Pulaski McCrillis & we were to tell our own stories, put in what proof we had, but were not to employ counsel. We met and had our hearing & I admitted everything that I ever had of Copeland, but he on the contrary denied several charges I had when I had paid him money & the referees brought me in for debt & cost over ninety dollars, a most unrighteous, ungodly decision. I lost by the operation one or two hundred dollars & my own time. I then thought I should live to see that old scoundrel and that referees all fail, which event has taken place several years since. I have lived to see Copoland's ill-gotten gains swallowed up by one outside of his own family. His own family were not benefited by his rascality. As to the referees I have forgiven them long ago although I do not think they acted honestly in their decision. The good Lord has helped me abundantly & supplied me with everything of a temporal nature to make me & my family comfortable and happy.

In 1851 I went into company with Otis Cutler, buying & collecting lambs for John A. Judkins of Waterville. I found myself in company of honest men that year. The next year I bought sheep & lambs for Mr. Judkins & continued in the same business for him till the fall of 1657 when Judkins failed & left me with 1100 sheep & lambs on hand with a debt of $2,200. There was no sale for sheep that fall & times became very hard, money scarce and I found myself in the hardest place of my whole life. I must fail & lose my character & all I had or else I must strike out & try & pay for my sheep & let them for I knew that sheep would be worth something again. I went to work with a will, took every sheep I bought, gave my note where they would take it, hired what money I could & got every sheep out by Jan. 2. I was drawn juryman & went to Bangor & was there about 5 weeks & got about fifty dollars & hired four hundred out of the bank & came home & went to buying my notes. When my note became due at the bank I went to Waterville & took money out of the bank to pay it & managed that way, hiring money out of one bank to pay another till I disposed of sheep enough the next fall to pay up all of my bank notes. I think my struggle that year done more to establish my credit than every other effort of my life. I still continued to buy & let sheep & cows & followed butchering, till the war commenced.

At the commencement of the war, I was engaged in the Provost Marshalls Department most of the time during the war as enrolling officer, notifying officer & special agent till its close. After the war I did considerable business in procuring & collecting bounties & pensions & have been engaged most of the time since the war in doing lawyer business, settling estates, guardian for minors & in Justice and Notary Public business in its different phases up to the present time.

Wife & I have have five children of our own and we brought up one that belonged to her sister. This child's father died before she was born and her mother died before she was three years old. My oldest son died in 1851 at the age of 3 years, our second daughter died in 1863 aged 8 years 5 months. Our youngest son died in 1870 aged 19 years 11 months. Our foster daughter died in 1875 aged 14 years 3 months, & our youngest daughter died in 1375 aged 18 years. Our oldest daughter still living, married to Charles M. Sawyer

Life Story of Nathan Wyman

File nameNathanwyman
File Size

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 44» Next»     » Slide Show